DNA Profiling Provides a Unique Fingerprint
What is DNA Profiling?
Unique DNA profiling is created whenever DNA testing is used. Genetic DNA fingerprinting and profiling can identify an individual with certainty. Scientists match a combination of unique markers that make up your permanent genetic fingerprint.
It’s useful to obtain DNA for potential future identification needs. A permanent record of DNA fingerprinting and profiling is important to identify children, to provide information in cases of missing persons, as identification for legal claims, or as definitive identification for military personnel. Under certain circumstances, this test can be used to determine biological relationships such as paternity, grand paternity, siblingship, and for prenatal DNA testing.
DNA Fingerprinting and Profiling
When the DNA profiling technique was first developed, it was called “DNA fingerprinting.” That’s because, just as with traditional fingerprinting, it provides a unique identification for each person. The name has been changed to DNA profiling to avoid confusion with actual fingerprinting.
How DNA Profiling Works
If you don’t need a record of your DNA for legal purposes, you may order one of our convenient, affordable home DNA tests. We will send you a DNA test kit with everything you will need to collect a sample of your DNA. The collection process is simple and painless – you just run a swab on the inside of the cheek for about 10 seconds to collect a tiny bit of tissue. Then place the samples in a labeled envelope that comes with the DNA test kit, and return the sample in the package provided. Children can be tested at any age.
If you require a legal DNA test, you will need to go to one of our convenient clinics and present identification before the sample is collected. Legal DNA tests require a strict chain-of-custody process to verify identification. There are over 6,000 convenient clinics nationwide, and we can make an appointment for you at a nearby clinic normally within 8 miles of your location (our national average).
DNA Profiling from DNA People Diagnostics
Whichever you choose, DNA People Diagnostics ensures 100% accuracy. We are the nation’s premier DNA testing center, and the lab uses the most sophisticated equipment and exceed the industry quality standard.
The labs are fully AABB certified for parentage testing and ASCLD accredited for forensic testing. In addition, they are accredited by the College of American Pathologists, CLIA, the New York State Department of Health, and ACLASS Accreditation Services. We also offer a lowest cost guarantee.
Advantages, Disadvantages of DNA Profiling
- DNA profiling is an ideal method for confirming an identity with absolute certainty.
- It’s easy and painless to obtain a specimen for testing
- A thorough, scientific test can be conducted in as little as 48 hours
- DNA testing is affordable and reliable
- To be conclusive, a DNA test should be run on multiple samples, at least twice. DNA People Diagnostics collects four samples and the lab runs every test twice to avoid false readings. In fact, your samples are sent to the only lab in the country to actually run each test twice through two separate DNA analyzers, virtually eliminating the chance for error. The lab also tests up to 29 markers to produce the highest possible probability indicators. Most labs will only test 10 markers, greatly increasing the need for additional testing. While most labs charge patients when this occurs, we do not charge when additional testing is necessary.
- Misuse of results can lead to privacy concerns. DNA People Diagnostics guarantees complete confidentiality. Personal information will not be released to anyone other than the tested parties and their named representatives without a written order.
For more information regarding DNA fingerprinting and profiling, call our office and ask to speak with one of our DNA case managers.